Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Learning from mistakes

Last week I experienced another first! Mom was trying to deliver some cheese to the Kurzers (the family that stayed with them in Tillamook for a few months). There was no parking on the side of the street available (at least not near their house), so we parked in a church parking lot despite the NO PARKING HERE sign that warned us we could be towed. I stayed in the car as Mom and Sheila went to deliver the cheese and visit for a little. Unfortunately Mom had the wrong address and couldn't find them. So she came back and called to get the correct address. On the second venture I decided to go with them, figuring the car would be fine. After all, I'd been there for 10 minutes and nothing happened. When we returned from the 5 minute visit, the car was gone.

The first thing I felt was fear that the car had been stolen. When we called and confirmed that it had been towed, the feelings were a mixture of relief and annoyance. For crying out loud, we'd only left the car unattended for 5 minutes! We weren't parking over night or attending a conference on campus! We were delivering a present to old friends!! Now we had to inconvenience the same people we'd just visited to get a ride to the towing company. Thankfully we were able to laugh at the situation, although the annoyance was still there a little.

As I thought back on the situation, I had to agree with my mother: we knew what the sign said, and we knew the risk we were taking. How could we be upset that something happened when we were already warned about it? How could we glare at or scold the towing man for doing exactly what the sign said he would? We couldn't be mad, not at them at least. We could be mad at or disappointed in ourselves, but not at them.

In life it is much the same way. Sometimes we push our luck, going out on limbs the Lord has warned us not to. We know the consequences attached to those choices, yet when justice comes, we are angry at God. How could God really let that happen to me? He didn't let it happen, we did. God gave us free agency so we could learn from our choices. If He were to shield us from the consequences of our actions, then what value would free agency be to us? We would learn nothing! To be honest, I'm grateful we were towed. I'm grateful that I was able to understand the importance of heeding the warnings we've been given. I only pray I will continue to heed those warnings and learn from the times I fail to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment