Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Silent Treatment


My roommates and I love teasing each other when we're not home. "As soon as we get home, I'm giving you the silent treatment!"

That joke never gets old to us!

As frustrating as it can be to not be able to express everything we feel as quickly nor as clearly as we're used to, I think we all find pleasure in the silence of our apartment. I know I do. Of course it's not perfectly silent. The dishwasher hums, we listen to music, we watch a TV show, we laugh out-loud. But compared to other apartments, we are a very quiet place!

Every day we are surrounded by noise. Cell phones ringing, cars passing, music blaring. More often than not we zone out the unnecessary din and only focus on what we want to hear. No matter how valiant our effort, the noise is still there, bidding for our attention.

I love hiking in the mountains, escaping from civilization and experiencing the blessed removal of man made noise. Life seems to come into better focus, priorities tend to fall into place, and God's power becomes so evident and undeniable when I remove myself from the hectic bustle of day-to-day life.

The silence soothes my soul. It rejuvenates me.

It is so peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment